Now Enrolling for January 2017
Are you ready to study, understand and practice abstraction?
In this 10 week online workshop you will obtain a deeper understanding of the question “What is abstraction?” by exploring the artwork of dozens of abstract artists.
You will develop a vocabulary of abstract elements and learn to create personal and meaningful abstract compositions through weekly studio composition exercises.
The assignments cover both non-objective abstraction and the process of abstracting reality. There are also assignments that help you investigate the role of planning and generation of ideas in your creative process.
You will learn how to write formal written critiques and will have ample opportunity to practice this skill as you evaluate each of your assignments.
I will provide feedback on your artwork throughout the class via a weekly interactive group critique session.
Mindsets are an important part of the workshop and we’ll dive into our thoughts and beliefs around our art making and studio practices to strengthen both. We’ll be looking at topics such as trust, vulnerability, limiting beliefs, personality types, habits, confidence and much more.
Note that this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the art/quilt making skills necessary to create the assignments. No specific techniques are required – painting, drawing, quilt making (piecing, applique, fusing, embellishment), surface design, etc – any medium is acceptable.
As with all of my workshops, my biggest intention is to provide my students the confidence and tools so they can move their art forward by leaps and bounds.
Experience Level: Advanced Beginner to Advanced
Prerequisites – Artwork
- …have all materials, supplies and tools you will need to create the artwork in your chosen style and medium.
- …have the knowledge and skill to create artwork in your chosen medium.
- …be willing to work hard and focus.
- …leave all self deprecating thoughts at the door and be ready to think big about your art
- …be ready to reflect upon their experience so you can grow
- …and, of course, have fun. Laughter is encouraged.
Some of those things might make you uncomfortable and they might scare you. But if you have an open mind and are willing to give it a try, you qualify.
It is recommended you document your work in this class in a journal or sketchbook.
Prerequisites – Computer Skills
- Ability to take clear, in focus photos of your artwork with a digital camera.
- Ability to re-size and prepare your images for the internet.
- You must have a facebook profile to participate in the interactive version of this workshop.
What are Students Saying about Abstractions?
Visit my alumni directory for images of former students’ artwork and read more of their thoughts about the workshop.
Online Course Logistics
- Course material will be provided via recorded lectures, which you can listen to at your convenience.
- Additional written course material will be emailed Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
- You will complete studio 8 assignments.
- I will review student assignments once a week during live web-conferences (see below for specific dates and times).
- Reviews will be recorded for those that can not attend live.
- A portion of the review will be reserved for questions and answers.
- Ongoing online discussion with myself and fellow classmates on our private facebook group.
- A limited number of mini coaching packages are available for students would like a deeper individual learning experience.
- You will also have two private phone conversations with me during the workshop.
- As a certified co-active coach, I will guide us through these calls using effective life coaching tools to help you get the most out of your learning experience.
- Note: unused coaching calls expire at the workshop end date.
- Self-Paced option! Do you like working at your own pace? Are you interested in the course material but you are not looking for feedback or any class interaction? This option is for you.
- Self-paced students will have the lectures, assignments and written course material delivered to them over the same 10 week time frame as the interactive class.
- There will be no access to assignment reviews, individual feedback or group discussion on facebook with this option.
- I encourage you to only select this option if you are highly motivated self learner and do not need feedback on your work. I believe most students get more from learning in an interactive environment.
Still Not Sure?
Please Don’t Signup for This Workshop If…
- You have an unwillingness to explore what motivates your artwork on visual, emotional and spiritual levels.
- You don’t want to learn more about yourself and what informs your art. I’ll be encouraging introspection and reflection. This workshop isn’t for you if you aren’t willing explore your thoughts.
- You aren’t willing to invest time in learning. This is a workshop has extensive written and studio assignments as we learn by doing.
Maybe another class is a better fit. See all of my online workshops here.