[I wrote a first version of this post 7 months ago but I never felt I explained things well. This rewrite brings some clarity.]
I have a hard time sticking with a “traditional” gratitude journal. You know – that list of 3 or 5 things that we should to write down each night so we can stay focused on the positive so we can manifest amazing things in our lives. The Law of Attraction is powerful.
My lists tend to look something like this
- my daughter had a friend over and they were silly.
- I saw a double rainbow :)
- dinner was really yummy.
I get bored with it.
How many variations of “my kids”, “my cats”, “my friends”, “nature”, “my house” and “my dinner” can I really come up with each night?
It ends up feeling forced and inauthentic after a while. I run out of things to write. It becomes a rote exercise for me verses a way to tap into positive energy. Basically – it is just not me.
And I’ll be honest – it stresses me out. I feel guilty for not doing it because this has some how become the thing we need to do to have a beautiful life. Anxiety is not exactly the point of the exercise.
My solution… I do my daily journalling with a slightly different focus.
I use my nightly writing time to reflect upon the giving and receiving for my day.
My gratitude journal has two categories:
- Affirmations – acknowledging all the gifts sent my way
- Accomplishments – acknowledging what I am giving
This is a list of everything that came my way during the day as an affirmation I’m on the right track. This list helps me to notice all the awesomeness that comes my way.
My list might be things like this:
- Someone buys my art.
- Someone smiles at me.
- My work is accepted into an exhibit.
- I get an email thanking me for my workshops.
- I get a thank you from a collector for adding beauty to their home.
- A friend gives me a compliment.
- A gallerist shows interest in my art.
- My workshops fill.
- My artwork receives an award.
- I over hear a friend telling someone my artwork is awesome.
- They said YES!
This looks a lot like a gratitude list – I know. I am indeed grateful for these things – I just find it easier to not get bored when I use different words to describe what I put on the list.
And it is more than that.
These are all the things I need to to open to receiving. Really receiving – not just brushing off as a given. Which can be far too easy to do.
When was the last time you accepted a compliment without discounting it?
In addition to the affirmations I also keep a list of my daily accomplishments. This isn’t about crossing things off my todo list. It’s a focus on what I am giving through my actions, talent and skills.
In addition to acknowledging my giving – this list is a fabulous reminder that I am taking the necessary actions to move forward towards my dreams.
Some days the list is big and impressive:
- I worked in the studio five hours on work for my upcoming exhibit
- I wrote two blog posts
- I helped two artists during our coaching calls – one had an aha moment about what is blocking her.
- I updated the sidebar of my blog.
- I handled a challenging email exchange with grace.
Some days the list is less active:
- I took a day of self care to rest – I got a massage, a pedicure, took a long walk in the sun and bought some tickets to go see my favorite performer. I did think of a great idea for a blog post which I wrote down and I’ll write it another day.
Three Universal Laws
Writing my lists of affirmations and accomplishments helps me recognize daily that I am indeed in control of my world. I have the power to create whatever I want. My thoughts and actions mater.
Another way to think of it – I’m tapping into what three universal laws that I find are always working…
Law of Attraction – Demonstrates how we create the things, events and people that come into our lives. Our thoughts, feelings, words, and actions produce energies which, in turn attract like energies. Negative energies attract negative energies and positive energies attract positive energies.
Law of Action – Must be employed in order for us to manifest things on earth. We must engage in actions that supports our thoughts dreams, emotions and words.
Laws of Giving & Receiving – In order to receive you must first give. In order to give you must also receive.
One of themes I see over and over in my coaching is clients that have trouble connecting to their own power.
They tend to focus on what went undone. What failed. The rejections. They lack confidence.
When clients start focusing on their actions and the affirmations they are receiving the result – they gain confidence. And with that confidence – they become unstoppable.
How do you stay connected to all the good coming your way and all amazing things you are doing?